Yoku’s Island Express review: Platforming, pinball and a dung beetle make for a perfect team
- Yoku’s Island Express is a platformer game that pulls on classic Metroidvania tropes, but ricochets it into something original with a winning mechanic.
- Villa Gorilla’s game casts you as a dung beetle, Yoku, employed as Mokumana Island’s new postmaster.
- Yoku pushes his burden, but the core of Island Express comes from controlling the paddles dotted around the landscape to send the little beetle flying.
- Like Metroidvania games, you’ll spend a lot of time in Yoku’s Island Express returning to previously explored areas, unlocking paths with the help of new powers.
- There are few games that tempt me to linger after the main story is done, but I feel like I’ll be shooting Yoku around his island for some time to come.more