It's a project that could be considered ... out of this world. "Using our technology to a...
RemoveDebris Set to Demonstrate Technology to Tackle Space Junk
- Image credit: NASA A spacecraft that will demonstrate a range of innovative technologies to clean up space debris has been deployed from the International Space Station (ISS) and will soon begin its experiments in orbit.
- RemoveDebris, will attempt to address the build-up of dangerous space debris orbiting Earth.
- The satellite was designed, built and manufactured by a consortium of space companies and research institutions, led by the Surrey Space Centre at the University of Surrey.
- The RemoveDebris mission will perform four experiments, including harpoon capture in orbit and a net that will be used on a deployed target.
- Finally, RemoveDebris will deploy a large sail that will drag it into the Earth’s atmosphere, where it will be destroyed.more